Arminée Kazanjian, is Professor, School of Population and Public Health, Faculty of Medicine, University of British Columbia (UBC), Canada. A Sociologist by training, she was founding Director of the British Columbia Office of Health Technology Assessment at UBC (1991-2002), and served as Director of the Health Human Resources Unit at UBC from 1988 to 2002. She was also Associate Director, UBC Centre for Health Services & Policy Research, 1988-2002. Dr. Kazanjian is currently the co-lead of the Canadian Cancer Survivorship Research Consortium (CCSRC) and Co-Director of the Survivorship Research Centre at BCCA.
A Sociologist by training and an internationally known health services researcher, Dr. Kazanjian’s most recent work is in cross-cultural cancer care, from prevention to palliation, and psychosocial oncology. As the scientific lead and Co-PI on two CIHR-funded survivorship initiatives: the New Emerging Team for Palliative Care in Cross Cultural Context: A NET for Equitable and Quality Cancer Care for Culturally Diverse Populations (2005- 2011), and the CIHR Team for Supportive Cancer Care (2007-present), her work is focused on the development of tools, empirical and conceptual, used to frame research questions pertaining to survivorship, vulnerable populations, and access to appropriate and quality cancer care. Most recently, Dr. Kazanjian has worked in collaboration with the Canadian Partnership Against Cancer (CPAC) to develop and implement a Knowledge Exchange – Decision Support Model (KEDS). The KE-DS Model is a practical model designed to delineate how research and other evidence is incorporated in developing policy and clinical practice.
Dr. Kazanjian and her research team have developed a knowledge translation model and toolkit that aims to increase access to supportive care for cancer survivors and their families.
Nandini Maharaj, PhD Student
Joseph Puyat, PhD Student
Genevieve Breau, PhD Student
Farinaz Havaei, PhD Student
Christine d’Cruz, MSc Student
Kimberley Burrus, MSc Student
Jason Tan di Bibiana, MSc Student
1. Mayhew M, Grant K, Kazanjian A, Klein M, Mota L, Rouhani S. Facilitating refugees’ access to family doctors. International Journal of Migration, Health and Social Care, 2015, Vol. 11 Iss 1 pp. 1 – 17
2. Grant K, Mayhew M, Mota L, Kazanjian A, Klein M. The Refugee Experience of Finding a Family Doctor. International Journal of Migration, Health and Social Care, 2015, Vol. 11 Iss 1 pp. 18 – 28
3. Maharaj, N., Kazanjian, A., & Haney, C. J. The Human-Canine Bond: A Sacred Relationship.
Journal of Spirituality in Mental Health. (In press)
4. Ahmed Mousa, Paul Courtright, Arminee Kazanjian, and Ken Bassett, Prevalence of Visual Impairment and Blindness in Upper Egypt: A Gender-based Perspective. Ophthalmic Epidemiology, 2014; 21(3): 190–196. PMID: 24746251
5. Howard, A.F., Smillie, K., Chan, V., Cook, S., & Kazanjian, A. The Knowledge Exchange-Decision Support Model: application to cancer navigation programs. Support Care Cancer (2014) 22:367-374. PMID: 24068550
6. Howard, A.F., Smillie, K., Turnbull, K., Munroe, D., Ward, A., Tobin, P. Kazanjian, A., & Olson, R. Access to medical and supportive care for rural and remote cancer survivors in Northern British Columbia. Journal of Rural Health, 2014 summer; 30(3):311-21. doi: 10.1111/jrh.12064. Epub 2014 Feb 1. PMID: 24483272
7. Macphee M, Dahinten VS, Hejazi S, Laschinger H, Kazanjian A, McCutcheon A, Skelton-Green J, O’Brien-Pallas L. Testing the effects of an empowerment-based leadership development programme: part 1 – leader outcomes. Journal of Nursing Management, 2014, 22, 4–15. PMID: 23651421
8. V. S. Dahinten, M. MacPhee , S. Hejazi , H. Laschinger M. Kazanjian A. Mccutcheon , J. Skelton-Green , L. O’Brien-pallas. Testing the effects of an empowerment-based leadership development programme: part 2 – staff outcomes. Journal of Nursing Management, 2014, 22, 16–28. PMID: 23952689
9. Howard, A.F., Tan de Bibiana, J., Smillie, K., Goddard, K., Pritchard, S., Olson, R., & Kazanjian, A. Trajectories of social isolation in adult survivors of childhood cancer. Journal of Cancer Survivorship: 2014 Mar; 8(1):80-93. PMID: 24202698
10. Kazanjian A, Smillie K, Stephen J. Evaluating a knowledge exchange intervention in cancer survivorship care: a workshop to foster implementation of Online Support Groups. Supportive care in cancer: official journal of the Multinational Association of Supportive Care in Cancer, 2013 May; 21(5):1429-35. PMID: 23274924
11. Slocum-Gori, S., Howard, AF. Balneaves, L., Kazanjian, A. Investigating the Perceived Feasibility of Integrative Medicine in a Conventional Oncology Setting: Yoga Therapy as a Treatment for Breast Cancer Survivors. Integrative Cancer Therapies. 2013 Mar; 12(2):103-12. PMID: 22710259
12. Slocum-Gori, S., Hemsworth, D, Chan, W., Carson, A., Kazanjian, A. Understanding Compassion Satisfaction, Compassion Fatigue and Burnout: A Survey of the Hospice and Palliative Care Workforce. Palliative Medicine, 2013 Feb; 27(2):172-8. PMID: 22179596
13. Kazanjian A, Smillie K, Howard AF, Ward A, Doll R. A structured approach to knowledge exchange: Understanding the implementation of a cancer survivor program. European journal of oncology nursing: the official journal of European Oncology Nursing Society, 2012 Sep; 16(4):399-405. PMID: 22000813
14. Aubin M , Giguère A , Martin M , Verreault R , Fitch MI , Kazanjian A , Carmichael PH. Interventions to improve continuity of care in the follow-up of patients with cancer. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2012 Jul 11. PMID: 22786508
15. Wang, F., Stewart, M., McDermott, S., Kazanjian, A., Vissandjee, B, DesMeules, M, deGroh, M., Morrison, H. Migration and diabetes in British Columbia and Quebec: Prevalence and health service utilization. Canadian Journal of Public Health 2012. 109(1): 59-64. PMID: 22338330
16. Weinerman, B., Barnett, J., Loyola, M., den Duyf, J., Robertson, S., Ashworth, V., Apland, L., Kazanjian, A. Telehealth- A Change in a Practice Model in Oncology. Telemedicine and e-health 2012. 15(5):391-393. PMID: 22489930
17. MacEntee, M., Kazanjian, A., Kozak, J.F., Hornby, K., Thorne, S., Kettratad, M.P. A Scoping Review and Research Synthesis on Financing and Regulating Oral Care in Long-Term Care Facilities. Gerodontology 2012. 29(2): e41-52. PMID: 22098091
18. Pong RW , DesMeules M , Heng D , Lagacé C , Guernsey JR , Kazanjian A , Manuel D , Pitblado JR , Bollman R Koren I , Dressler MP , Wang F , Luo W. Patterns of health services utilization in rural Canada. Chronic diseases and injuries in Canada, 2011 Fall;31 Suppl 1:1-36. PMID: 22047772
19. Hemsworth, D, Kazanjian, A., Cadell, S, Slocum-Gori, S. Chan, W. Direct Effects of Workgroup Culture differentials on Burnout, Compassion Fatigue, and Compassion Satisfaction. Can one’s cultural beliefs mitigate these effects? International Journal of Business Research.2011. 11(2): 123-130.
20. Bell, K and Kazanjian, A. PSA Testing: Molecular technologies and Men’s experience of prostate cancer survivorship. Health, Risk and Society. 2011. 13(2): 183-198.
21. Mc Dermott, S., Gupta, S., DesMueles, M., Kazanjian, A., Manual, D. Vissandjee, B., Ruddick, E., Kiewer, E., Health Services Use among Immigrants and Refugees to Canada. Health Policy Research Bulletin, Health Canada, 17, 37-40, December, 2010.
1. Howard, A.F., Balneaves, L.G., & Kazanjian, A. (2013). Mastectomy to prevent breast cancer: Psychosocial aspects of women’s decision making. In B.I. Carr & J.L. Steel (Eds.), Psychological Aspects of Cancer. NY: Springer.
Areas of Specialty or Interest:
Knowledge Exchange and Translation
Palliative care in cross-cultural context
Vulnerable populations, including women’s, immigrants’ and rural health
Socio-behavioural research in health services utilization
Health technology assessment, systematic reviews and research synthesis
Health workforce planning and modelling of supply/demand
Health policy analysis and outcome evaluation
Population-based administrative data analysis and linkage