Dr. Chris G Richardson completed a Bachelors (hons) degree in Biopsychology at the University of Guelph, an MSc in Community Health at the University of Northern British Columbia, and a PhD in the Department of Health Care and Epidemiology at the University of British Columbia. His doctoral program of research focused on the application of multi-group structural equation modeling to examine changes in sense of coherence over time and the extent to which it acts as a buffer of stressful life events. He subsequently completed a postdoctoral fellowship focused on applying his knowledge of psychometrics to the development of the Adolescent Need for Smoking Scale and the study of adolescent substance use more generally.
Dr. Richardson is currently an Associate Professor in the School of Population and Public Health where his research activities are focused on examining aspects of biopsychosocial development in adolescence (e.g., impulsivity, sensation seeking, resilience) and their relationships with patterns of tobacco, alcohol, marijuana and other drug use. He is also a Scientist with the Centre for Health Evaluation and Outcomes Sciences at St. Paul’s Hospital where he is the research lead for the Inner City Youth Program (see http://mh.providencehealthcare.org/programs/inner-city-youth) where he works with a team of psychiatrists to examine the role of mental illness, substance use and homelessness on the psycho-social functioning of at-risk youth.
1. Schwartz J, Bottorff JL, Ratner PA, Gotay C, Johnson KC, Memetovic J, Richardson CG. Effect of Web-Based Messages on Girls’ Knowledge and Risk Perceptions Related to Cigarette Smoke and Breast Cancer: 6-Month Follow-up of a Randomized Controlled Trial. Journal of Medical Internet Research Res Protoc. Accepted Aug 2014.
2. Werb D, Richardson C, Buxton J, Shoveller J, Wood E, Kerr T. Development of a Brief Substance Use Sensation Seeking Scale: Validation and Prediction of Injection-Related Behaviors. AIDS and Behavior (Published online August 2014).
3. Memetovic J, Ratner PA, Richardson CG. Gender-based Measurement Invariance of the Substance Use Risk Profile Scale. Addictive Behaviors. 2014 Mar;39(3):690-4.
4. Duff P, Muldoon K, Toma O, Richardson CG. Examining the Influence of Community Belonging on Marijuana Use Among Youth Living in British Columbia, Canada. J Subst Use, 2014 Early Online: 1–7.
5. Bottorff, J.L., Haines-Saah, R., Oliffe, J.L., Struik, L., Bissell, L., Richardson, CG, Gotay, C., Hutchinson, P., Johnson, K. Designing tailored messages about smoking and breast cancer: A focus group study with youth. Canadian Journal of Nursing Research. 2014 March:26 (1):66-86.
6. Bottorff, J. L., Struik, L.L., Bissell, L.J.L., Graham, R., Stevens, J., & Richardson, C.G. (2014). A social media approach to inform youth about breast cancer and smoking: An exploratory descriptive study. Collegian: The Australian Journal of Nursing Practice, Scholarship and Research, 2014: 21(2), 159-168.
7. Richardson CG, Kwon JY, Ratner PS. Self-esteem and the initiation of substance use among adolescents. Can J Public Health 2013;104 (1):e60-e63.
8. Chavoshi N, Monirussaman A, Christian W, Richardson CG, Schechter M, Spittal P. The Cedar project: Understanding barriers to consistent condom use over time in a cohort of young Aboriginal people who use drugs. International Journal of Sexual Health 2013; 25(4):249-59.
9. Richardson CG, Schwartz J, Struik L, Bottorff JL. Adapting the Stage of Change model to investigate adolescent behavior related to reducing second hand smoke exposure. Open Journal of Preventive Medicine, 2013 April 3:160-164. doi: 10.4236/ojpm.2013.32021.
10. Richardson CG, Hamadani LG, Gotay C. Quantifying Canadians’ use of the Internet as a source of information on behavioural risk factor modifications related to cancer prevention. Chronic Dis Inj Can. 2013 Jun;33(3):123-8.
11. Davis JC, Liu-Ambrose T, Richardson CG, Bryan S. A comparison of the ICECAP-O with EQ-5D in a falls prevention clinical setting: are they complements or substitutes? Qual Life Res. 2013 Jun 22(5):969-77.
12. Richardson CG, Struik LL, Johnson KC, Ratner PA, Gotay C, Memetovic J, Okoli CT, Bottorff JL. Initial impact of tailored web-based messages about cigarette smoke and breast cancer risk on boys’ and girls’ risk perceptions and information seeking: A Randomized controlled trial. Journal of Medical Internet Research Res Protoc. 2013 Dec 10;2(2):e53.
13. Werb D, Kerr T, Buxton J, Shoveller J, Richardson C, Montaner J, Wood E. Patterns of injection drug use cessation during an expansion of syringe exchange services in a Canadian setting. Drug Alcohol Depend. 2013 Oct 1;132(3):535-40.
14. Werb D, Kerr T, Buxton J, Shoveller J, Richardson C, Montaner J, Wood E. Crystal methamphetamine and initiation of injection drug use among street-involved youth in a Canadian setting. CMAJ 2013 Dec 10:185(18):1569-75. PMID: 24130244
15. Werb D, Buxton J, Shoveller J, Richardson C, Rowell G, Wood E. Interventions to prevent the initiation of injection drug use: a systematic review. Drug Alcohol Dep. 2013 Dec 1;133(2):669-76.
16. Davis JC, Liu-Ambrose T, Richardson CG, Bryan S. A Comparison of the ICECAP-O and EQ-5D in a Falls Prevention Clinical Setting: Are they complements or substitutes? Quality of Life Research. 2012 Jun 22. [Epub ahead of print] : PMID: 22723152
17. Chavoshi N1, Waters S, Moniruzzaman A, Richardson CG, Schechter MT, Spittal PM. Sexual vulnerabilities among Aboriginal young people involved in illegal drug use in two Canadian cities. Can J Public Health. 2012 Nov 8;103(6):e413-6
18. Lear SA, Chockalingam A, Kohli S, Richardson CG, Humphries KH. Elevation in cardiovascular disease risk in South Asians is mediated by differences in visceral adipose tissue. Obesity 2012 June;20(6):1293-300.
19. Sawatzky, R., Ratner, P.A., Richardson, C.G., Washburn, C., Sudmant, W., & Mirwaldt, P. (2012). Stress and depression in students: The mediating role of stress-management self-efficacy. Nursing Research, 61(1), 13-21.
20. Richardson CG, Memetovic J, Ratner PA, Johnson JL. Examining gender differences in emerging tobacco dependence using the Adolescents’ Need for Smoking Scale. Addiction. 2011 Oct;106(10): 1846-54.
21. Richardson CG, Vettese L, Sussman S, Small S, Selby P. An investigation of smoking cessation video content on YouTube. Substance Use and Misuse. 2011;46(7):893-7.
22. Richardson CG, Okoli CTC, Ratner PA, Johnson JL. Empirical support for a multidimensional model of sensations experienced by youth during their initial smoking episodes. Addiction 2010; 105(10):1827-1834.
I am currently focusing much of my research time on investigating how the use of substances (tobacco, alcohol and marijuana) shift from experimental to recreational to regular patterns of consumption within the psychosocial context of adolescence. I am particularly interested in quantitative modeling that examines how the process of addiction/dependence develops. For example, using latent growth mixture models to identify distinct patterns of emerging tobacco use and parallel process models that examine the influence of emerging psychosocial risk factors in conjunction with patterns of substance use.