Craig Mitton is a Senior Scientist at the Centre for Clinical Epidemiology and Evaluation and a Professor in the School of Population and Public Health in the Faculty of Medicine at UBC. Craig held a Michael Smith Foundation for Health Research Scholar Award from 2006-2012 and from 2005-2009 was at UBC Okanagan where he held a Canada Research Chair in Health Care Priority Setting. The focus of his research is in the application of health economics to impact real-world decision making in health organizations. He is a member of the International Society of Priorities in Health Care and co-chaired the Society’s 2012 conference in Vancouver. He has published a book entitled the ‘Priority setting toolkit: a guide to the use of economics in health care decision making’ and has authored or co-authored over 90 peer reviewed publications.
2013 Outstanding Paper Award Winner, Emerald Literati Network Awards for Excellence for “Using evaluation theory in priority setting and resource allocation”
2012 CJG Mackenzie Prize for Excellence in Teaching
2006-2012 Michael Smith Foundation for Health Research Scholar Award
Tom Daniels, PhD student
Elizabeth Wilcox, PhD student
Asif Raza, PhD student
William Hall, MSc student
Tanina Conte, MSc student
1. Smith N, Mitton C, Bryan S, Peacock S, Donaldson C. Evaluation of Resource Allocation Processes in Canadian Healthcare Organizations: The State of Practice. Canadian Journal of Program Evaluation; in press.
2. Mitton C, Levy AR, Gorsky D, MacNeil C, Dionne F, Marrie T. Being Explicit about Allocating Limited Resources within Fiscal Constraints: Dalhousie University Faculty of Medicine. Academic Medicine; in press.
3. Wallace, B., MacEntee, M.I., Harrison, R., Hole, R., Mitton, C. (2013). Community dental clinics: Providers’ perspectives. Community Dentistry and Oral Epidemiology, 41 (3): 193-203.
4. Smith N, Mitton C, Bryan S, Davidson A, Urquhart B, Gibson J, Peacock S, Donaldson C. Decision Maker Perceptions ofResource Allocation Processes in Canadian Health Care Organizations: a national survey. BMC Health Services Research; 2013; 13:247.
5. Bryan S, Mitton C, Lee H. ‘Innovation’ in health care coverage decisions: All talk and no substance? Journal of Health Services Research and Policy; in press.
6. Dionne F, Mitton C, Macdonald T, Miller C, Brennan M. The challenge of obtaining information necessary for multi-criteria decision analysis implementation: the case of physiotherapy services in Canada. Cost Effectiveness and Resource Allocation 2013;11(1):11.
7. Polisena J, Clifford T, Mitton C, Elsaugh A. Case Studies that Illustrate Disinvestment and Reallocation Decision-Making Processes in Health Care: A Systematic Review. International Journal of Technology Assessment in Health Care 2013;20-1-11.
8. Smith N, Mitton C. Design and Implementation of a Survey of Senior Canadian Healthcare Decision Makers: Organization-wide Resource Allocation Processes. Health 2012;4(11):1007-1014.
9. Willis C, Mitton C, Gordon J, Best A. System tools for system change. BMJ Quality and Safety 2012;21(3):250-62.
10. Smith N, Mitton C, Cornelissen E, Gibson J, Peacock S. Using evaluation theory in priority setting and resource allocation. Journal of Health Organization and Management 2012; 26:5.
11. Dionne F, Mitton C, Rassekh R, Brooks B, Ross C, Carleton B, Hayden M. Economic Impact of a Genetic Test for Cisplatin Induced Ototoxicity Carleton, M. Hayden. The PharmacoGenomics Journal 2012;Aug;12(4):359.
12. Mitton C, Peacock S, Storch J, Smith N, Cornelissen E. Moral Distress among Health System Managers: Exploratory Research in two British Columbia Health Authorities. Health Care Anal. 2011 Jun;19(2):107-21.
13. Gibson J, Mitton C, Dubois-Wing G. Priority setting in Ontario’s LHINs: ethics and economics in action. Health Care Quaterly. 2011;14(4):35-46.
14. Mitton C, Dionne F, Masucci L, Wong S. Innovations in Health Service Organization and Delivery in Northern Rural and Remote Regions: a review of the literature. International Journal of Circumpolar Health 2011;70(5):460-472.
15. Mitton C, Dionne F, Damji R, Campbell D, Bryan S. Difficult decisions in times of constraint: Criteria based Resource Allocation in the VancouverCoastal Health Authority. BMC Health Services Research 2011;11:169.
16. Cornelissen E, Mitton C, Shepps S. Knowledge translation in the discourse of professional practice. International Journal of Evidence-Based Healthcare 2011 Jun;9(2):184-8.
17. Mitton C, Smith N, Peacock S, Evoy B, Abelson J. Techniques for integrating public input into health care priority setting decisions. Evidence and Policy 2011:7(3);347-63.
18. Peacock S, Mitton C, Ruta D, Donaldson C, Bate A, Hedden L. Priority setting in health care: towards guidelines for the Programme Budgeting and Marginal Analysis (PBMA) framework. Expert Rev Pharmacoecon Outcomes Res. 2010 Oct;10(5):539-52.
19. Sumner A, Coyle D, Mitton C, Johnson D, Patel H, Klassen T, Correll R, Gouin S, Bhatt M, Joubert G, Black K, Turner T, Whitehouse S, Plint A. Canadian Bronchiolitis Epinephrine Steroid Trial: Cost Effectiveness of Epinephrine and Dexamethasone in Children with Bronchiolitis. Pediatrics 2010 Oct;126(4):623-31.
20. Donaldson C, Bate A, Mitton C, Dionne F, Ruta D. Rational Disinvestment. QJM 2010; 103(10):801-807.
21. Levy A, Mitton C, Briggs A. International Comparison of Comparative Effectiveness Research in Five Jurisdictions: Insights for the United States. Pharmacoeconomics 2010;28(10):1-18.
22. MacLeod S, Mitton C. We Know Accurately Only When We Know Little. Pharmacoeconomics 2010;28(2):105-107.