Hans Krueger has a PhD in Health Policy/Research from the University of British Columbia. Prior to obtaining his PhD, Dr. Krueger graduated at the top of his class with an MSc in Health Services Planning and Administration. His practical experience comes from having worked at Vancouver Hospital & Health Sciences Centre for seven years, moving rapidly from a health systems analyst to Director, Corporate Planning & Finance.
Dr. Krueger is currently the President of H. Krueger & Associates Inc. and an Adjunct Professor at the UBC School of Population and Public Health. He is an award-winning author with a reputation for a rational and disciplined approach to research and analysis. In addition to contributing to many peer-reviewed publications, Hans has co-authored five books, including The Health Impact of Smoking and Obesity and What To Do About It, The Prevention of Second Primary Cancers and Community-Based Prevention: Reducing the Risk of Cancer & Chronic Disease. A key research interest is the economic impact of risk factors for chronic disease (i.e. smoking, excess weight, physical inactivity, alcohol) and the potential for cost avoidance associated with reducing the prevalence of these risk factors in the population.
• Krueger H, J Krueger, J Koot. “Variation across Canada in the Economic Burden Attributable to Excess Weight, Tobacco Smoking and Physical Inactivity”, Canadian Journal of Public Health. 106(4), e171-7, 2015.
• Krueger H, J Koot, R Hall, C O’Callaghan, M Bayley, D Corbett. “Prevalence of Individuals Experiencing the Effects of Stroke in Canada: Trends and Projections”, Stroke. Vol. 46(8), pp 2,226-31, 2015.
• Global Burden of Disease Cancer Collaboration. “Global Burden of Cancer 2013”, Journal of the American Medical Association. Vol. 1(4), pp. 505-27, 2015.
• GBD 2013 Mortality and Causes of Death Collaborators. “Global, Regional, and National Age-sex Specific All-cause and Cause-specific Mortality for 240 Causes of Death, 1990-2013: A Systematic Analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2013”, Lancet. Vol. 384(9963), pp. 117-71, 2015.
• Ahmed S, K Nuernberger, P McCrea, K Reimer, H Krueger, S Aydede, D Ayers, J Collet. “Care Delivery in Youth with Type 2 Diabetes – Are we Meeting Clinical Practice Guidelines?” Pediatric Diabetes. Vol. 15(7), pp. 477-83, 2014.
• Krueger H, D Turner, J Krueger, E Ready. “The economic benefits of risk factor reduction in Canada: Tobacco smoking, excess weight and physical inactivity”, Canadian Journal of Public Health. 105(1), e69-78, 2014.
• Krueger H, J Koot, D Rasali, S Gustin, M Pennock. “Regional Variations in the Economic Burden Attributable to Excess Weight, Physical Inactivity and Tobacco Smoking across British Columbia”, Health Promotion and Chronic Disease Prevention in Canada: Research, Policy and Practice. 36(4), 76-85, 2016.
• Krueger H, E Andres, J Koot, B Reilly. “The Economic Burden of Cancers Attributable to Tobacco Smoking, Excess Weight, Alcohol Use, and Physical Inactivity in Canada”, Current Oncology. 23(4), 241-9, 2016.