Dr. Paul Martiquet, Medical Health Officer – Powell River, Sunshine Coast, Sea to Sky, Bella Bella, Bella Coola
- Monitors of the overall health status of the region’s rural areas including: Sea to Sky, Sunshine Coast, Powell River, Bella Bella, Bella Coola
- Recommends actions needed to improve health and prevent illness, including the management of communicable and non-communicable disease control.
- Provides leadership, support and advice about community medicine, including: epidemiology, health promotion, disease prevention and public health protection and fulfils statutory requirements.
- Manages the Environmental Health and Community Licensing functions and exercises.
- Provides Medical Health Officer services to Sliammon First Nations (Powell River) and has a working relationship with other First Nations Bands in the region.
Educated at McGill University and the University of Toronto, Dr. Martiquet practiced family medicine in Ontario before moving into the field of community medicine. He moved to B.C. in 1993 to take up the post as Medical Health Officer for Coast Garibaldi Health. Working closely with the Provincial Health Officer, Dr. Martiquet is involved with publishing the annual Report on the Health of British Columbians and currently chairs the Health Officers Council of BC (2008-2010).