Trevor Dummer, PhD, is an Associate Professor at the University of British Columbia. Originally from the UK, he received his PhD in environmental epidemiology from Newcastle University and masters training in Geographic Information Science (GIS) from Edinburgh University. Prior to joining UBC in 2014, Dr. Dummer was at Dalhousie University, where he was an Associate Professor in the Department of Pediatrics and Community Health and Epidemiology. He is a health geographer whose research includes investigating the relationship between obesity and the built environment, as well as the relationship between cancer and environmental exposures, with a central focus on cancer prevention through community knowledge translation.
Amina Moustaqim-Barrette (MSc)
Laura Nauta (MSc) Dalhousie University
1. Anand SS, Tu JV, Awadalla P, Black S, Boileau C, Busseuil D, Desai D, Després J-P, de Souza RJ, Dummer TJB, Jacquemont S, Knoppers B, Larose E, Lear SA, Marcotte F, Moody AR, Parker L, Poirier P, Robson PJ, Smith EE, Spinelli JJ, Tardif J-C, Teo KK, Tusevljak N, Friedrich MG. (2016) Rationale, design, and methods for Canadian alliance for healthy hearts and minds cohort study (CAHHM) – a Pan Canadian cohort study BMC Public Health, 16, 650: 1-16
2. Saint-Jacques N, Lee J, Brown P, Stafford J, Parker L and Dummer TJB (2016) Small-area spatio-temporal analyses of bladder and kidney cancer risk in Nova Scotia, Canada. BMC Public Health, 16, 175: 1-17.
3. Poirier A, Dodds L, Dummer TJB, Rainham DG, Maguire B, Johnson M. (2015) Maternal exposure to air pollution and adverse birth outcomes in Halifax, Nova Scotia. Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, 57 (12): 291–298
4. Murphy R, Dummer TJB, Gotay C (2015) Cancer mortality in the Asia Cohort Consortium. American Journal of Epidemiology, 182 (11): 971
5. Inman M, Otley A, Parker L, Dummer TJB, Cui Y, Schmidt M. (2015) Childhood exposure to ionizing radiation from computed tomography imaging in Nova Scotia, Canada. Pediatrics and Child Health, 20 (7): 381-5.
6. Dummer TJB, Gotay C (2015) Asbestos in Canada: time to change our legacy (commentary). CMAJ 187 (8): 1-2.
7. Shearer CL, Rainham DGC, Blanchard C, Dummer TJB, Lyons R, Kirk SFL. (2015) Measuring food availability and accessibility among youth: Moving beyond the neighbourhood boundary. Social Science and Medicine, 133: 322-330.
8. Gotay C, Dummer TJB, Spinelli J (2015) Cancer risk: prevention is crucial. Science 347 (6223): 728.
9. Dummer TJB, Yu M, Nauta L, Murimboh J, Parker L. (2015) Geostatistical modelling of arsenic in drinking water wells and related toenail arsenic concentrations across Nova Scotia, Canada. Science of Total Environment, 505: 1248-58.
10. Chappells H, Campbell N, Drage J, Fernande CV, Parker L, Dummer TJB. (2015) Understanding the translation of scientific knowledge about arsenic risk exposure among private well water users in Nova Scotia. Science of Total Environment, 505: 1259-73
11. Saint-Jacques N, Dewar R, Cui Y, Parker L, Dummer TJB. (2014) Premature mortality due to social and material deprivation in Nova Scotia, Canada. International Journal for Equity in Health, 13: 94.
12. Manos S, Cui Y, McDonald N, Parker L, Dummer TJB. (2014) Youth healthcare utilization in Nova Scotia: what is the role of age, sex and socio-economic status? Canadian Journal of Public Health,105 (6): e431-437.
13. Saint-Jacques N, Brown P, Parker L, Dummer TJB. (2014) Arsenic in drinking water and urinary tract cancer: a review of 30 years of epidemiological evidence. Environmental Health, 13: 44.
14. Chappells H, Parker L, Fernandez C, Conrad C, Drage J, O’Toole G, Campbell N, Dummer TJB (2014) Arsenic in private drinking water wells: An assessment of jurisdictional regulations and guidelines for risk remediation in North America. Journal of Water and Health, 12.3: 372-390.
15. Yu Z, Fung B, Murimboh J, Parker L, Dummer TJB. (2014) What is the role of obesity in the aetiology of arsenic related disease? Environment International 66: 115-123.
16. Penney T, Rainham DGC, Dummer TJB, Kirk SFL. (2014) A spatial analysis of community level overweight and obesity. Journal of Human Nutrition and Dietetics, 27: 65-74
17. Yu Z, Parker L, Dummer TJB. (2014) Depressive Symptoms, Diet Quality, Physical Activity, and Body Composition among populations in Nova Scotia, Canada: Report from the Atlantic Partnership for Tomorrow’s Health. Preventive Medicine, 61: 106-113.
18. Yu Z, Dummer TJB, Adams A, Murimboh J, Parker L. (2014) Relationship between drinking water and toenail arsenic concentrations among a cohort of Nova Scotians. Journal of Exposure Science and Environmental Epidemiology, 24, 135–144.
19. Shearer CL, Blanchard C, Kirk SFL, Lyons R, Dummer TJB, Pitter R, Rainham DGC, Rehman L, Shields C, Sim M. (2012) Physical activity and nutrition among youth in rural, suburban, and urban neighbourhoods. Canadian Journal of Public Health, 103 (Suppl. 3): S55-S60.
20. Dummer TJB, Cui Y, Strang R, Parker L. (2012) Vaccination coverage of two year old children in Nova Scotia. Canadian Journal of Public Health, 103 (5): 363-67.
21. Rainham DG, Bates CJ, Blanchard C, Dummer TJB, Kirk SFL, Shearer CL. (2012) Spatial Classification of Youth Physical Activity Patterns. American Journal of Preventive Medicine, 42 (5): e87-e96.
22. Dummer TJB, Kirk SFL, Penney TL, Dodds L, Parker L. (2012) Targeting policy for obesity prevention: identifying the critical age for weight gain in women. Journal of Obesity, Volume 2012, Article ID 934895, 7 pages.
23. Dummer TJB, Halsall J, Cook IG. (2011) Longevity in the 21st Century: A Global Environmental Perspective. International Journal of Society Systems Science, 3 (4): 307-324.
24. Schanzer DL, Langley JM, Dummer TJB, Aziz S. (2011) The Geographic Synchrony of Seasonal Influenza A Waves across Canada and the United States. PLoS One, 6 (6): e21471 (1-8).
25. Lavergne R, Gao J, Dummer TJB, Rheaume D, Johnston GM (2011). Variation in the use of palliative radiotherapy at end of life: Examining demographic, clinical, health service, and geographic factors in a population-based study. Palliative Medicine, 25 (2): 101-110.
26. Schanzer DL, Langley JM, Dummer TJB, Viboud C, Tam T (2010). A Composite Epidemic Curve for Seasonal Influenza. Influenza and Other Respiratory Viruses, 4 (5): 295–306.
27. Dummer TJB, Bellemare S, MacDonald N, Parker L (2010). Death in 12-24 year old youth in Nova Scotia: High risk for males, socially deprived and rural populations. A report from the NSYOUTHS Program. International Journal of Pediatrics. vol. 2010, Article ID 769075, 8 pages.
Student authors are underlined
I am a health geographer and Geographic Information Science (GIS) specialist with interests in environmental epidemiology and environment and health interactions, with specific emphasis on cancer etiology and cancer prevention. Current projects are evaluating the role of water quality and air quality on cancer risk, and utilizing a knowledge-to-action framework for developing interventions. I am also involved in studies assessing the role of the built environment on overweight and obesity and co-lead a major CIHR study that is assessing the relationship between air pollution, the built environment, epigenetics and metabolic syndrome. I am co-PI of two regional cohorts of the national Canadian Partnership for Tomorrow Project (CPTP): BC Generations and Atlantic PATH–CPTP is the largest cohort study ever conducted in Canada with over 300,000 participants and over the next 20 years will play an important role in helping understand how genetics, the environment and lifestyle interact to cause cancer and other chronic diseases.