All MSc OEH students are required to complete three short courses for the program.
UBC has a a number of administrative units that offer non-credit short courses to faculty, staff and students:
- Risk Management Services
- Centre for Teaching and Learning Technology (CTLT)
- Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies (G+PS)
Many of these courses have content of practical value to program students. In addition, the methods of teaching these courses offer an example of adult education that may be of value in the future careers of program graduates.
For these reasons, we require attendance at 3 such courses prior to graduation, including a laboratory chemical safety course.
- Emergency Preparedness
- Laboratory Biological Safety
- Laboratory Chemical Safety
- Introduction to Laboratory Safety
- LASER Safety
- Occupational First Aid
- Radionuclide Safety and Methodology
Other courses and activities that qualify include:
- CTLT Graduate Student and TA courses
- FoGS Leadership Workshops and Project Management workshops
- sitting on the building Health and Safety Committee for one academic year (this entails attending all monthly meetings and performing duties for the committee)
If you are interested in taking a course that is not listed above, check with your faculty advisor to ensure that it qualifies as one of your requirements. Equivalent courses offered by other institutions will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
Note that courses taken prior to the student beginning the program (with the exception of courses completed in the August prior) will NOT normally be accepted.