My research aims to inform policies and practices in health through the application of health economics and decision theory. I started my career at the University of Sheffield, where I conducted research on the cost-effectiveness of drugs and technologies to inform the UK government (National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence). I moved to Vancouver in 2004 and worked with the Centre for Health Evaluation and Outcome Sciences.
I earned degrees in mathematics, health services research and health economics from the University of Sheffield. I received post-doctoral training at UBC
CIHR New Investigator Award (2014-2019)
CADTH Maurice McGregor Award, Rising Star in HTA (2016)
Logan Trenaman (PhD candidate)
Steve Kanters (PhD candidate)
Ian Cromwell (PhD candidate)
James Hicklin (MSc candidate, Pharm Sci)
Rebecca Metcalfe (PhD student)
Samantha Pollard (Phd candidate) (co supervising with Dr. Stirling Bryan)
Selection recent publications by research theme (full publications available here)
Patient Decision Making
- · Bansback N, Shojania K, Lacaille D. An Overdue Choice: Improving Patient-Centred Care in Rheumatoid Arthritis. CMAJ. 2016. In Press
- · Harrison M, Marra C, Bansback N. Preferences for ‘new’ treatments diminish in the face of ambiguity. Health Economics. 2016. In Press
- · Bansback N, Harrison M, Sadatsafavi M, Stiggelbout A, Whitehurst D. Attitude to health risk in the Canadian Population: evidence from a nationwide cross-sectional survey. CMAJ Open. 2016;4(2):E284-91.
- · Bansback N, Harrison M, Marra C. Does Introducing Imprecision around Probabilities for Benefit and Harm Influence the Way People Value Treatments? Medical Decision Making. 2016;36(4):490-502.
- · Munro S, Stacey D, Lewis KB, Bansback N. Choosing treatment and screening options congruent with values: Do decision aids help? Sub-analysis of a systematic review. Patient Education and Counseling. 2016;99(4):491-500.
- · Trenaman L, Munro S, Almeida F, Ayas N, Hicklin J, Bansback N. Development of a patient decision aid prototype for adults with obstructive sleep apnea. Sleep and Breathing. 2016;20(2):653-61.
- Bansback N, Li LC, Lynd L, Bryan S. Development and preliminary user testing of the DCIDA (Dynamic computer interactive decision application) for ‘nudging’ patients towards high quality decisions. BMC Medical Informatics and Decision Making. 2014;14:62.
- Bansback N, Li LC, Lynd L, Bryan S. Exploiting order effects to improve the quality of decisions. Patient Education and Counseling. 2014;96(2):197-203.
- Bansback N, Sizto S, Marra C, Guh D, Anis A. The Effect of Direct-to-Consumer Genetic Tests on Anticipated Affect and Health-Seeking Behaviors: A Pilot Survey. Genetic Testing and Molecular Biomarkers. 2012;16(10):1165-71.
Measurement of Preferences
- · Xie F, Pullenayegum E, Gaebel K, Bansback N, Bryan S, Ohinmaa A, Poissant L, Johnson JA. A Time Trade-off-derived Value Set of the EQ-5D-5L for Canada. Medical Care. 2016;54(1):98-105.
- · Bansback N, Trenaman L, Harrison M. How Important Is Mode of Administration in Treatments for Rheumatic Diseases and Related Conditions? Current Rheumatology Reports. 2015;17(6):514.
- Bansback N, Hole AR, Mulhern B, Tsuchiya A. Testing a discrete choice experiment including duration to value health states for large descriptive systems: addressing design and sampling issues. Social Science & Medicine. 2014;114(100):38-48.
- Bansback N, Brazier J, Tsuchiya A, Anis A. Using a discrete choice experiment to estimate health state utility values. Journal of Health Economics. 2012;31(1):306-18.
- Bansback N, Tsuchiya A, Brazier J, Anis A. Canadian Valuation of EQ-5D Health States: Preliminary Value Set and Considerations for Future Valuation Studies. PLoS ONE. 2012;7(2):e31115.
- · Harrison M, Marra C, Shojania K, Bansback N. Societal preferences for rheumatoid arthritis treatments: evidence from a discrete choice experiment. Rheumatology. 2015;54(10):1816-25.
- · Bansback N, Sun H, Guh DP, Li X, Nosyk B, Griffin S, Barnett PG, Anis AH. Impact of the Recall Period on Measuring Health Utilities for Acute Events. Health Economics. 2008;17(12):1413-9.
- · Bansback N, Murray C, Carlton J, Lewis G, Hughes L, Espallargues M, Brand C, Brazier J. Determinants of health related quality of life and health state utility in patients with age related macular degeneration: the association of contrast sensitivity and visual acuity. Quality of Life Research. 2007;16(3):533-43.
- · Bansback N, Keystone E, O’Dell J, Phibbs CS, Hannagan K, Brophy M, Anis A. Making smart investment decisions in clinical research. Trials. 2015;16(1):590.
- Trenaman L, Sadatsafavi M, Almeida F, Ayas N, Lynd L, Marra C, Stacey D, Bansback N. Exploring the Potential Cost-Effectiveness of Patient Decision Aids for Use in Adults with Obstructive Sleep Apnea: A Case Study. Medical Decision Making. 2015;35(5):671-82.
- · Finckh A, Bansback N, Marra CA, Anis AH, Michaud K, Lubin S, White M, Sizto S, Liang MH. Treatment of very early rheumatoid arthritis with symptomatic therapy, disease-modifying antirheumatic drugs, or biologic agents: a cost-effectiveness analysis. Annals of Internal Medicine. 2009;151(9):612-21.
- · Bansback N, Ara R, Ward S, Anis A, Choi H. Statin therapy in rheumatoid arthritis: a cost effectiveness and value-of-information analysis. Pharmacoeconomics. 2009;27(1):25-37.
- · Wailoo AJ, Bansback N, Brennan A, Michaud K, Nixon R, Wolfe F. Biologic Drugs for Rheumatoid Arthritis in the Medicare Program:. Arthritis and Rheumatism. 2008;58(4):939-46.
- · Bansback N, Davis S, Brazier J. Using contrast sensitivity to estimate the cost-effectiveness of verteporfin in patients with predominantly classic age-related macular degeneration. Eye. 2007;21(12):1455-63.
- · Bansback N, Ara R, Barkham N, Brennan A, Fraser AD, Conway P, Reynolds A, Emery P. Estimating the cost and health status consequences of treatment with TNF antagonists in patients with psoriatic arthritis. Rheumatology. 2006;45(8):1029-38.
- · Bansback N, Brennan A, Ghatneker O. Cost-effectiveness of adalimumab in the treatment of patients with moderate to severe rheumatoid arthritis in Sweden. Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases. 2005;64(7):995-1002.
- · Bansback N, Ward S, KarnonJ. Economic evaluation of gemcitabine in the treatment of pancreatic cancer in the UK. How important is quality of life? European Journal of Health Economics. 2004;5(2): 188-9.
- · Brennan A, Bansback N, Reynolds A, Conway P. Modelling the cost-effectiveness of etanercept in adults with rheumatoid arthritis in the UK. Rheumatology. 2004;43(1):62-72.
Meta-Analysis and Network Meta-analysis
- Kanters S, Vitoria M, Doherty M, Socias ME, Ford N, Forrest JI, Popoff E, Bansback N, Nsanzimana S, Thorlund K, Mills EJ. Comparative efficacy and safety of first-line antiretroviral therapy for the treatment of HIV infection: a systematic review and network meta-analysis. The Lancet HIV. 2016. In Press
- · Bansback N, Sizto S, Sun H, Feldman S, Willian MK, Anis A. Efficacy of Systemic Treatments for Moderate to Severe Plaque Psoriasis: Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. Dermatology. 2009;219(3):209-18.
- · Guh DP, Zhang W, Bansback N, Amarsi Z, Birmingham CL, Anis AH. The incidence of co-morbidities related to obesity and overweight: a systematic review and meta-analysis. BMC Public Health. 2009;9:88.
- · Nixon RM, Bansback N, Brennan A. Using mixed treatment comparisons and meta-regression to perform indirect comparisons to estimate the efficacy of biologic treatments in Rheumatoid Arthritis. Statistics in Medicine. 2007;26(6):1237–54.
My research uses various forms of decision analysis to improve health. Methodological areas of research include measuring and valuing health, economic evaluation and network meta-analysis.
An emerging research focus of mine seeks to improve decision making at the patient/physician consultation using decision support tools. See http://www.dcida.ubc.ca/ for more information.
Funding opportunities for Masters and PhD students who have a background in health economics, operations research or psychology of decision making. Send CV and explanation of your interest.